I could use one know for
- working on the train
- working at cafes while waiting for the kids
- working in the country while visiting friends and family
My PC and laptop seem like overkill for researching on the web, emailing, writing reports and building a few models in a spreadsheet. They also use a lot of electricity and take up space.
To be an effective replacement for the PC and laptop, a netbook would need to have
- Be reasonably priced. $200 would be nice.
- Have a reasonably priced connection plan.
- Have access to cheap or free software
- Web browser
- Word processor
- Drawing tools
- Reliable connection with good coverage.
- Good battery life. 6 hours would be nice
Basic set of applications
- Gmail with tasks
- Google calender
- Google Docs
- GIT for source code management
- Ubuntu or Windows XP with cygwin
- Gnu tools
- VNC or WRD